What Is Beauty?
Table of Contents
Ever wondered “what is beauty essay”? We’ve got some hints right here for you!
The concept of beauty is studied in sociology, philosophy, psychology, culture, and aesthetics.
It is regarded as a property of an object, idea, animal, place, or a person, and it often interpreted as balance and harmony with nature.
Beauty as a concept has been argued throughout the entire history of civilization, but even today, there is neither single definition accepted by many people nor shared vision.
People think that something or someone is beautiful when it gives them feelings of attraction, placidity, pleasure, and satisfaction, which may lead to emotional well-being.
If speaking about a beautiful person, he or she can be characterized by the combination of inner beauty (personality, elegance, integrity, grace, intelligence, etc.) and outer beauty or physical attractiveness.
The interpretation of beauty and its standards are highly subjective. They are based on changing cultural values.
Besides, people have unique personalities with different tastes and standards, so everyone has a different vision of what is beautiful and what is ugly.
We all know the saying that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
That’s why writing a beauty definition essay is not easy. In this article, we will explore this type of essay from different angles and provide you with an easy how-to writing guide.
Besides, you will find 20 interesting beauty essay topics and a short essay sample which tells about the beauty of nature.
What is beauty essay?
Let’s talk about the specifics of what is beauty philosophy essay.
As we have already mentioned, there is no single definition of this concept because its interpretation is based on constantly changing cultural values as well as the unique vision of every person.
…So if you have not been assigned a highly specific topic, you can talk about the subjective nature of this concept in the “beauty is in the eye of the beholder essay.”
Communicate your own ideas in “what does beauty mean to you essay,” tell about psychological aspects in the “inner beauty essay” or speak about aesthetic criteria of physical attractiveness in the “beauty is only skin deep essay.”
You can choose any approach you like because there are no incorrect ways to speak about this complex subjective concept.
How to write a beauty definition essay?
When you are writing at a college level, it’s crucial to approach your paper in the right way.
Keep reading to learn how to plan, structure, and write a perfect essay on this challenging topic.
You should start with a planning stage which will make the entire writing process faster and easier. There are different planning strategies, but it’s very important not to skip the essential stages.
- Analyzing the topic – break up the title to understand what is exactly required and how complex your response should be. Create a mind map, a diagram, or a list of ideas on the paper topic.
- Gathering resources – do research to find relevant material (journal and newspaper articles, books, websites). Create a list of specific keywords and use them for the online search. After completing the research stage, create another mind map and carefully write down quotes and other information which can help you answer the essay question.
- Outlining the argument – group the most significant points into 3 themes and formulate a strong specific thesis statement for your essay. Make a detailed paper plan, placing your ideas in a clear, logical order. Develop a structure, forming clear sections in the main body of your paper.
Start working on your paper by expanding your outline.
If you know exactly what points you are going to argue, you can write your introduction and conclusion first. But if you are unsure about the logical flow of the argument, it would be better to build an argument first and leave the introductory and concluding sections until last.
Stick to your plan but be ready to deviate from it as your work develops. Make sure that all adjustments are relevant before including them in the paper.
Keep in mind that the essay structure should be coherent.
In the introduction, you should move from general to specific.
- Start your essay with an attention grabber: a provocative question, a relevant quote, a story.
- Then introduce the topic and give some background information to provide a context for your subject.
- State the thesis statement and briefly outline all the main ideas of the paper.
- Your thesis should consist of the 2 parts which introduce the topic and state the point of your paper.
Body paragraphs act like constructing a block of your argument where your task is to persuade your readers to accept your point of view.
- You should stick to the points and provide your own opinion on the topic.
- The number of paragraphs depends on the number of key ideas.
- You need to develop a discussion to answer the research question and support the thesis.
- Begin each body paragraph with a topic sentence that communicates the main idea of the paragraph.
- Add supporting sentences to develop the main idea and provide appropriate examples to support and illustrate the point.
- Comment on the examples and analyze their significance.
- Use paraphrases and quotes with introductory phrases. They should be relevant to the point you are making.
- Finish every body paragraph with a concluding sentence that provides a transition to the next paragraph.
- Use transition words and phrases to help your audience follow your ideas.
In conclusion, which is the final part of your essay, you need to move from the specific to general.
- You may restate your thesis, give a brief summary of the key points, and finish with a broad statement about the future direction for research and possible implications.
- Don’t include any new information here.
When you have written the first draft, put it aside for a couple of days. Reread the draft and edit it by improving the content and logical flow, eliminating wordiness, and adding new examples if necessary to support your main points. Edit the draft several times until you are completely satisfied with it.
Finally, proofread the draft, fix spelling and grammar mistakes, and check all references and citations to avoid plagiarism. Review your instructions and make sure that your essay is formatted correctly.
Winning beauty essay topics
- Are beauty contests beneficial for young girls?
- Is it true that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder?
- Inner beauty vs physical beauty.
- History of beauty pageants.
- How can you explain the beauty of nature?
- The beauty of nature as a theme of art.
- The beauty of nature and romanticism.
- Concept of beauty in philosophy.
- Compare concepts of beauty in different cultures.
- Concept of beauty and fashion history.
- What is the aesthetic value of an object?
- How can beauty change and save the world?
- What is the ideal beauty?
- Explain the relationship between art and beauty.
- Can science be beautiful?
- What makes a person beautiful?
- The cult of beauty in ancient Greece.
- Rejection of beauty in postmodernism.
- Is beauty a good gift of God?
- Umberto Eco on the western idea of beauty.
The beauty of nature essay sample
The world around us is so beautiful that sometimes we can hardly believe it exists. The beauty of nature has always attracted people and inspired them to create amazing works of art and literature. It has a great impact on our senses, and we start feeling awe, wonder or amazement.
The sight of flowers, rainbows, and butterflies fills human hearts with joy and a short walk amidst nature calms their minds.
…Why is nature so beautiful?
Speaking about people, we can classify them between beautiful and ugly. But we can’t say this about nature. You are unlikely to find an example in the natural world which we could call ugly. Everything is perfect – the shapes, the colors, the composition. It’s just a magic that nature never makes aesthetic mistakes and reveals its beauty in all places and at all times.
Maybe we are psychologically programmed to consider natural things to be beautiful. We think that all aspects of nature are beautiful because they are alive. We see development and growth in all living things, and we consider them beautiful, comparing that movement with the static state of man-made things.
Besides, maybe we experience the world around us as beautiful because we view it as an object of intellect and admire its rational structure. Nature has intrinsic value based on its intelligible structure. It’s an integral part of our lives, and it needs to be appreciated.
We have discussed specifics of the “what is true beauty essay” and the effective writing strategies you should use to approach this type of academic paper. Now it’s time to practice writing.
You should write whenever you have a chance because practice makes perfect. If you feel you need more information about writing essays, check other articles on our website with useful tips and tricks.