Guide on Writing a Death Penalty Research Paper
Table of Contents
The death penalty is one of the most controversial topics. This topic raises a lot of questions in society and this fact makes it perfect for research. But, it can be a challenging task for students to create a good research paper on such a difficult topic.
You may be confused about where to look for the information, what is the correct structure for the paper, and many other aspects. But don’t worry, we are ready to help you! In this guide, we will cover all aspects of writing a death penalty research paper. So, keep reading to learn how to craft a strong paper.
How to Start Working on a Research Paper on the Death Penalty
The work on the research paper always starts with an in-depth investigation of a chosen topic. Speaking of the death penalty research, you may have to go through tons of information before figuring out what you want to write about. It is an essential part of writing a strong death penalty research paper, so take enough time for it.
But you might be wondering where to look for credible information. And to ease your search, we compiled a list of the best sources to gather data about the death penalty.
- Death Penalty Information Center (DPIC). On the site of this organization, you will find a lot of information regarding capital punishment.
- The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (UN Human Rights). This UN entity publishes various articles and reports concerning the question of the death penalty on its site.
- Articles and journals. There are a lot of death penalty research papers and other scholarly literature, that can be helpful. Just search a little in research databases and you will find a lot of credible information.
Choosing Topics for Research Papers Death Penalty
The death penalty is a wide topic, and to create a good research it is better to narrow down the topic to one specific aspect. Many students get stuck in this step, as choosing a narrow topic from the variety of available options can be difficult. But, the good news is this task will be much easier for you if you have conducted prior research.
The data you gathered during the prior research can help you to find a direction for your further investigation. All you need is to follow a few simple steps:
- Look through the information you found and highlight several aspects that can be researched.
- Search a little for information on each of the chosen aspects to understand which one is most interesting for you.
- Write down a few questions related to the chosen aspect.
- Select a question that is current and engaging — it will be the final topic for your research.
For example, you can conduct research on the death penalty in a specific country. Or, investigate the death penalty in the context of race and religion. There are a lot of options, all you need to do is brainstorm your ideas and find the best one.
Outline for the Death Penalty Research Paper
After you choose your topic and gather enough data, you will have a better idea of what you need to present in your research paper. But, how to structure your paper correctly? It is an important question, as a good structure increases the readability of your work and guarantees a logical development of your points.
And that’s why you need to create an outline before writing a research paper. An outline will map out the way you will present information, and help you to understand how to connect all parts and create a paragraph flow.
A death penalty research paper should have the same structure as any other research paper. Usually, there are several parts in the following order:
- Main paragraphs
- References or Bibliography.
You can use these sections to create an outline. But, you should also take into account the guidelines provided by your professor, if any.
Take a look at each section and think about how you want to organize the information in them. Take some notes about what each section should include and in what order. A few words will be enough to get a better understanding of how to develop all your points throughout the paper.
How to Write a Death Penalty Research Paper
So, you researched your topic, created an outline, and now it’s time to write your paper. In this step, all you need to do is follow your outline and present your argumentation or evaluation of the chosen death penalty question. Sounds easy, but to create a great death penalty research paper, you need to know about some common requirements. Let’s learn more about them.
The introduction section helps you to catch the attention of the readers, provide them with some essential information, and give them a better idea of what issue you will discuss in your paper. This section usually includes 1-3 paragraphs, depending on the length of your paper.
Here are the components of the death penalty research paper introduction:
- Attention grabber — a short and precise sentence to engage the audience.
- Background information — a few sentences to give your readers basic knowledge of the death penalty.
- The significance of research on capital punishment — explain why this topic needs to be addressed.
- Short literature review — a few sentences about previous research on the topic and existing points of view.
- Thesis statement — a sentence that conveys your position on the death penalty or a central idea of your research.
- An outline — a short explanation of what you want to cover in your paper.
The main body is the longest part of a death penalty research paper and the most important one. In this section, you need to describe your research and provide arguments and evidence that support your thesis statement. It is usually divided into several paragraphs to improve readability. To keep the logical flow, present the information in the next order:
- Methodology. Explain how you conducted research on the death penalty.
- Ideas, arguments, and evidence. Present each idea in a different paragraph.
- Final results. The logical solution from your research.
A good conclusion should wrap up everything you write in the main body paragraphs and reinforce your central message. To achieve this goal, you need to include the following components in your concluding paragraph:
- Reiterate your thesis statement.
- Summarize your argumentation, evaluation, or solutions (basically, the main points presented in the main body).
- Remind of the importance of researching the death penalty.
Useful Tips on Writing a Research Paper About Death Penalty
Crafting powerful academic papers requires good critical thinking, evaluation, and writing skills. All of these come with practice. But, you can greatly improve your paper just by following some simple yet effective tips.
There are some tricks and tips that professionals use when writing research papers. And they will definitely be helpful for you, especially for creating a paper on such a controversial topic as the death penalty. So, here are some recommendations from expert writers:
- Review some death penalty research papers before writing your own to find inspiration and understand how a good paper should be structured.
- Provide arguments based on official data and credible sources only to avoid bias.
- Use numerical statistics as evidence of your argumentation.
- When you cite other sources, make sure you use the correct citation style.
- Always proofread your work at least two times after you finish it.
We hope that our tips will help you to write a powerful death penalty research paper. Remember, that all you need is to choose a question that is interesting to you, conduct in-depth research, and follow our writing recommendations. And don’t be afraid to ask for professional writing help, if you need it!
How do you start a paper on the death penalty?
At the beginning of a death penalty research paper, you need to give the audience a better understanding of what capital punishment is, why it is important to research this topic, and what aspects you will cover in your paper. Provide some background information, a thesis statement, and an outline of your research.
How do you write a thesis statement for the death penalty?
To write a good thesis statement, you need to conduct in-depth research first and then decide what side you choose. State your personal position in a precise sentence to give the audience a clear idea of your point of view.
Is the death penalty a good research paper topic?
If you want to conduct research on a controversial and engaging topic, the death penalty is a good choice for you. There are a lot of aspects and questions you can choose as the main focus of your research. So, find a question regarding the death penalty that is interesting for you, and start your research.