50 Best Ideas For Research Paper Topics
Table of Contents
Writing a research paper is a challenging task, and the most difficult part of it is to get started. Especially if your instructor hasn’t assigned any topic and you have to come up with ideas for your project on your own.
In this article, we will give you some useful advice on how to select an impressive topic for your college or research papers and provide you with a list of original ideas for exploring in your writing projects.
We’ve organized them into 11 categories that cover a wide range of subjects so you can easily find the most appropriate idea for your academic assignment.
Looking for amazing ideas for interesting research topics? We’ve got more than enough!
How to come up with Interesting research paper topics?
Choosing the right topic is crucial for the success of any academic paper.
But the first step is to understand how to write research papers so as soon as you get one to work on, don’t hesitate to approach the professor with questions if you encounter any confusion.
Ask the supervisor for additional instructions to have a clear understanding of what you are supposed to do that will allow you to focus on other essential aspects of the writing process.
Keep in mind that the subject of your paper should be relevant to the course you are taking.
As soon as you start a new course, it’s better to be on the lookout for a powerful topic which may interest you. Starting early, you will have more time for planning and organization.
Brainstorming is an effective method for generating great ideas. It consists of a timed writing session during which students jot down any keywords and concepts related to their course that come to their minds.
It’s better to do it in the form of a bulleted list.
Then they should review the list, trying to find some patterns and group different ideas for consistency.
In this way, students can find ideas which seem to be worth pursuing and create a short list of possible interesting topics to research.
Need some research papers writing tips on how to decide which idea makes the best choice?
We’re just about to reveal those!
How to decide between several interesting topics to research
- When students have a list of several possible subjects, the best approach is to select the one that interests them most. They will be more motivated to do a thorough investigation and cover the subject in detail. It’s a lengthy project, so students are more likely to perform better if they are passionate about the subject of the paper.
- Besides, you should consider your level of experience. Think of an opportunity to select a familiar subject. The research process will be easier if you already know something about the subject of your research.
- Read general background information, for example, articles from online encyclopedias (Encyclopedia Britannica, Encyclopedia Americana) which provide a broad overview of the topics you are considering and find out how it relates to narrower, broader, and related issues. If a subject is debatable, think about a range of issues and viewpoints to consider. Make a list of the commonly used keywords that will help you explore the subject in detail.
- Both encyclopedias have useful links to newspaper, magazine, and journal articles, where you can find additional information on the subject. Make sure that you can find enough published materials (books, scholarly and newspaper articles) that cover your subject.
- Be flexible. Chances are you will need to modify your initial idea. It will depend on the amount of information you can find. You may need to broaden or narrow your focus to make the subject manageable.
- Use the keywords you have gathered to investigate in catalogs, article databases. Do additional reading to define a focused research question. Create a strong thesis statement as an answer to the research question. Keep in mind that your thesis should be specific.
- Finally, you should review the guidelines of your assignment to ensure that the subject you have chosen meets the requirements. You may also ask your professor for suggestions and make sure he/she approves your choice.
Check out this list of writing suggestions, which can help you come up with your own good idea.
Interesting research topics for high school students
- How can lifestyle habits influence overall health?
- Is there a lack of anonymity in the digital age?
- Impact of commercials on teenagers’ behavior.
- Importance of body language in human communication.
- Are bilingual people (or those who know multiple foreign languages) smarter?
Interesting research paper topics for college students
- Compare opportunities for online learning with blended learning.
- What measures can be taken to prevent cyberbullying in schools?
- Role of feminism in contemporary society.
- Key reasons anxiety is a major problem among young people.
- Differences between male and female roles models in contemporary society.
Interesting history research paper topics
- The Salem Witch Trials: causes and effects.
- Role of the women suffrage movement in the history of the USA.
- African tribal culture, its origin, and development.
- Human sacrifices in the world of ancient Maya.
- Construction of the Great Wall of China.
Interesting science research topics
- Can humans live in space and on other planets?
- Why is “dark matter” important?
- Can the human race survive if the Earth would be struck by a large meteor?
- How old is the Universe?
- Can molecular biology provide keys to understanding cancer?
Interesting psychology research topics
- How dangerous are eating disorders?
- Post-traumatic stress syndrome.
- Can music therapy help in the treatment of mental disorders?
- What causes depression?
- How can we improve self-esteem?
Interesting biology research topics
- Reasons why some animal hibernate.
- Artificial organic tissues and their properties.
- Evolution of biological species.
- Effects of diet on the aging process.
- What is the biological clock?
Interesting political science research topics
- Role of celebrities in political campaigns.
- Post-apartheid society in South Africa.
- Intercultural communication in European countries.
- Human trafficking and human rights.
- Globalization and social security.
Interesting medical research topics
- Do we need placebo treatment?
- Can stem cell treatment help us live longer and healthier?
- How can microelectronics help people with chronic diseases?
- What causes breast cancer?
- Role of vaccination in eliminating and preventing diseases.
Interesting nursing research topics
- Can pet therapy help autistic children?
- Health needs of elderly people.
- Impact of outdoor physical activity on the mental health of patients with clinical depression.
- Impact of whole grain diet on the prevention of cardiovascular diseases.
- Treatment of eating disorders.
Interesting chemistry research topics
- Is it possible to develop environmental-friendly plastics?
- How can we use carbon dioxide?
- What are the least harmful fertilizers?
- Are food dyes safe?
- How harmful are pesticides?
Interesting argumentative research topics
- Are women or men better at collaborating and compromising?
- Racism issues and other kinds of discrimination in the modern world.
- Influence of sexting on the teenagers’ behavior.
- How safe is junk food?
- Can sustainability help prevent climate change?
Feel free to use these interesting research topics to write your own high-school and college projects or as inspiration for further investigation.
No inspiration for your research paper? How about you choose any topic from the list and we do the rest… Get a top-notch paper just in time with no struggle!